A late goalkeeping error followed by a challenge resulting in a penalty proved costly for a Rangers B team against Brentford at The Rangers Training Centre on Monday afternoon. The result was a bit harsh as they had matched their slightly older and more experienced opponents for most of the match.

The visitors carried the first real threat on eleven minutes when Mukhammadali Urinboev cut in from the right before shooting just wide of the near post. Around eight minutes later Val Adedokun passed inside from the left hand angle of the box to Ethan Brierley and his shot from the edge of the box forced a save from Kieran Wright with an outstretched foot.

Just beyond the half-hour mark a good Rangers passing move ended with Mackenzie Strachan passing to James Graham inside the left side of the box but he shot wide of the far post. Within in a minute Paul Nsio was in possession inside the left side of the box, he passed across goal to Archie Stevens who shot over.

A couple of minutes before the break former Rangers youngster Nathan Young-Coombes on the left side of the box passed inside to Ethan Brierley on the edge of the box, his shot beat Kieran Wright but came back off his right hand post. The final chance of the half came at the other end, Mackenzie Strachan’s free-kick from the left side of the box was headed clear, Calum Adamson collected on the edge of the box and shot just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

Half-Time: Rangers 0 - 0 Brentford

Check out Elfideldo's Rangers Youth Site

For 12 years, Elfideldo's Youth blog has been the primary source on Rangers youth football from the academy to the B team

Visit Elfideldo's page now

The early part of the second half saw a few substitutions and almost twenty minutes had passed when Paul Nsio exchanged passes on the right side of the box with Findlay Curtis before shooting across goal. There was twelve minutes remaining when Kieran Wright stepped past an attacker on the edge of his six yard box, he immediately tried a similar move to go past Ashely Hay but was dispossessed by the substitute who forced the ball over the line.

The lead should have been doubled four minutes later, Kyreece Lisbie burst past a couple of defenders deep into the right side of the box, a goal looked sure from his centre but Tony Yogane fired against the cross bar from inside the six yard box. The result was confirmed as the game edged into injury time, Tony Yogane was brought down by Connor Allan inside the left side of the box with Ethan Brierley converting the penalty.

Full-Time: Rangers 0 - 2 Brentford

Rangers: Kieran Wright; Zander Hutton, Connor Allan, Leyton Grant, Robbie Fraser (Kristian Webster 59 Mins); Mackenzie Strachan (Callum Burnside 87 Mins); Calum Adamson (Blaine McClure 81 Mins), Paul Nsio; Archie Stevens (Thompson Ishaka 64 Mins), Josh Gentles (Chris Eadie 59 Mins), James Graham (Findlay Curtis 59 Mins)
Not Used: Alfie Halliwell (Gk), Arran Kerr.

Brentford: Hakan Valdimarsson (Vincent Angelini 74 Mins); Erion Zabeli (Ashley Hay 74 Mins), Jisoo Kim, Benjamin Arthur, Val Adedokun (Max Dickov 83 Mins); Riley Owen (Angel Waruih 83 Mins), Ethan Brierley; Yehor Yarmoliuk: Mukhammadali Urinboev (Tony Yogane 57 Mins), Iwan Morgan (Ethan Laidlaw HT), Nathan Young-Coombes (Kyreece Lisbie 66 mins).
Not Used:

Discuss this article

Enjoyed this analysis? Disagree entirely? Found a spelling mistake? Whatever your opinion, it's welcome on our popular and friendly message-board.

Visit Gersnet Forum